How many times have you been misunderstood in a conversation?
But now imagine this scenario:
- instead of talking face to face, two people are typing on social media
- instead of their mother tongue, they might be speaking the only common language for them, maybe english (and neither one of them is an expert in that language)
Now brace yourselves and add to the picture:
- some cultural differences
- different time zones
- add little sister entering the room, jumping around asking for attention in the middle of their conversation
- add internet connection failures
And there you have a possible never-ending frustration when it comes to solving an argument.
Long distance relationships are challenging, and that is why communication skills are one of the most, if not the most important skill you want to develop. Here you will find several steps and techniques for solving communication issues. Developing those skills takes practice and time, but in the long run, it’s so much worth it!
Take alone time and write down your thoughts and important points you want to cover, before actually talking to your partner
Set specific time when you can talk with no distractions
Use ”I’’ statements instead of accusing your partner
Be honest and talk from your heart
Ask your partner to repeat your statements to make sure he/she fully understands your point of view
Few months ago I was having a small discussion with my boyfriend. We could not speak on microphone or use camera, so we ended up typing fast and furious, keyboards clicking loudly, trying to write the same speed as if we were speaking. At one moment, he wrote something that opened my eyes.
He wrote : “If I was to only read what you just wrote, I would have taken it so wrong! But when I read your words, I imagine your voice and the way you are saying it, and that’s why I know what you were actually trying to tell me.” I went back to reading my words again, and realized it didn’t come out the way I wanted it, but he understood me. He knew better then me what I was trying to communicate.
Talk about possible solutions and concentrate on one issue at the time
Relationships take time, and you have to be patient enough until you learn to “fine tune” with your partner. Have open conversations and be willing to grow together. Being in long distance relationship already makes you a strong couple. Practice these steps to make your relationship even stronger.
Good luck, and thanks for reading!
- 5 Things to Know BEFORE Starting a Long Distance Relationship - January 10, 2018
- How to: Look Great on Webcam on any Occasion - August 27, 2017
- How to Solve Miscommunication in a Long Distance Relationship - July 2, 2017
- How to: Cope with Distance After a Visit - March 18, 2017
- FAQs About Long Distance Relationships - January 18, 2017