Hello everyone! Meet Matea & Pavel, a modern day love story and totally adorable long distance couple.
1. Tell us a little about yourselves!
My name is Matea (22), and his is Pavel (26). He lives in Bulgaria, has a bachelors degree in agronomy, and I live in Croatia, working on my mechatronics bachelors degree. We’re both very busy because of our lifestyles, so we usually have an hour per working day to videocall. It’s definently hard, but worth it. We both had a fair share of getting hurt in the past, so we were both very careful when it came to this.
2. How did the two of you meet? What were your first impressions of each other?
We met on 9gag comment section 😀 we both live for travel, which helps a lot in a LDR. I thought he was very funny (which I still do), and he thinks I am cute, even though I think he won’t tell me that he maybe thought I was weird 😀
3. Tell us about the first time you met in person.
We started texting on beginning of February 2017, and after 4 months of texts and voice calls, I decided to meet in Belgrade, Serbia. It’s kind of a halfway for both of us. We met, we were both immensely tired from the journey so we kinda spent the first day lazy. We were there for 3 days and 2 nights, and the departure wasn’t that difficult, because we both knew that it had to happen. It was amazing, and after that we started videocalling. 2 months later, I went to Bulgaria for a roadtrip, and met his parents. Also was amazing! I feel adopted 😀 Also, first time ever I flew was with him! Went from Varna to Sofia (45 min flight) and I was so excited!
Fastforward another 2 months, we went to Sofia for 3 days and 2 nights so we could see eachother before Christmas, and go to a concert. For Christmas he finally met my family and now he’s the one that feels adopted 😀 It helps a lot when you get approval and support from the ones that mean the most. Then we were together for three weeks, and departures started falling hard on me. He stays cool, knows that I need a rockhard support. Fast forward 2 more months, and I went to Bulgaria for another 2 weeks. Now we wait for July, because my college is kicking in more than ever, so I can’t travel.
4. What was it like transitioning to a long distance relationship?
We knew what was in store for us, and that if we wanna make it work out, we’re gonna have to do it like that. We kinda both decided that we just have to stay positive and loyal, and that everything will be fine. It is hard, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, but totally worth it.
5. What are your favorite things to do together?
Travel, snuggle, watch documentaries, eat cake, loooong walks on the beach ( I know, cheesy right?), play videogames, read books. Basically everything we do when we’re apart, just now we’re together and everything is better. Lying next to eachother, holding hands and each reading their own book, it’s awesome 😀
6. Do you have any plans to close the distance?
As a matter of fact, yes. We’re waiting for my bachelors degree (atleast a year more), and then planning on moving to Bulgaria for a start. He already has a job there so it makes no sense to go anywhere else for a beginning. After that, it’s either Norway, Ireland, USA… who knows. All we know is that we want our kids away from Balkan depression.
7. If you could give one piece of advice for other LDR couples, what would it be?
Stay focused. Stay loyal. Love eachother, respect above all. Build the trust, it’s the most important thing when it comes to LDR. Act as a team, because you are one. It’s you two against the literal world, win it. 🙂
Thank you Matea & Pavel for sharing you story with us! To check out other couple stories, click here.
Readers, if you want to share you LDR story, send Tammy an email -> firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you know we have merch? Click through here to discover!
- 8 Long Distance Relationship Gifts for Anytime of Year - April 2, 2018
- Long Distance Relationship Stories: The 9Gag Love Story - March 19, 2018
- Valentine’s Day for Long Distance Relationships - February 11, 2018
- Distance – The Must-Watch Webseries of 2018! - January 1, 2018
- How to Celebrate the Holidays Online - December 23, 2017
- Closing the Distance & Life Post-LDR: Kristen & Seth - December 6, 2017
- The LDR Docu-Series You Can Apply To Be In (Casting Call!) - November 29, 2017
- Guest Post: 6 Online Dating Tips No One Told You Before - November 20, 2017
- International LDR: Brianna & Mark - November 16, 2017
- Intra-national LDR: Amanda & Richard - August 2, 2017